Additional disaster funding for North Queensland small businesses

Car driving in heavy rain.

Additional financial support has been made available for North Queensland small businesses impacted by severe weather earlier this year with the activation of new disaster recovery grants.

The grants under the Small Business Recovery Assistance Grant program will provide up to $15,000 to eligible small businesses that experienced significant trading disruptions due to the severe weather event between January 29 and February 28.

The Federal and State governments have jointly activated this support through Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) to help communities in North and Far North Queensland recover from this year’s devastating floods.

“Small businesses are the heart of North Queensland and provide the services communities love and rely on, which is why we’ve activated additional financial assistance to help them get back on their feet,” Federal Minister for Emergency Management Kristy McBain said. “We’ve listened to local operators about the impact of this year’s floods, and this grant is about providing practical support to help them to rebuild with confidence.”

Minister for Small and Family Business Steve Minnikin said the grant is targeted at small businesses that either ceased trading or suffered a revenue loss of 60 per cent or more for at least two consecutive weeks as a direct result of the disaster.

“Small businesses are the backbone of regional communities. When disaster strikes, they face not only physical damage but also massive financial uncertainty,” Minnikin said. “This grant recognises the real and ongoing challenges these businesses face and helps them cover essential costs like wages, rent and stock so they can focus on reopening, retaining staff, and rebuilding stronger than before.”

Minister for Fire, Disaster Recovery and Volunteers Ann Leahy said this additional round of support was crucial to getting North Queensland small businesses back on their feet.

“This government is here for the long haul, and we’ll continue to work in the knowledge that our job is not done until affected businesses get back to full operation,” Leahy said. “We understand the impact and are here to provide the necessary support.”

Eligible businesses must be located in one of eight declared disaster-affected Local Government Areas, including Burdekin, Cairns, Cassowary Coast, Charters Towers, Hinchinbrook, Palm Island, Townsville, and Yarrabah. Grants will be assessed on a competitive basis, with applicants needing to demonstrate the financial impact of the disaster, their intent to continue operating, and how the funds will contribute to business and community recovery.